People moving interstate due to COVID-19
1000 Aussies surveyed by Budget Direct discovered that out of those surveyed, 1 in 5 Aussies are moving interstate.
You might have thought that with all of the COVID-19 lockdowns we have had in Australia that people may have slowed down their moving plans. Moving definitely can be a stressful time and with COVID-19 issues to deal with, moving is definitely a little more hectic than usual.
Yet while COVID-19 has made many of our lives harder, according to Budget Direct’s Jonathan Kerr “the lengthy lockdowns in Victoria and New South Wales have accelerated people’s decisions to escape Melbourne and Sydney and move interstate. Queensland and Western Australia have become very attractive markets due to their relatively low cases of COVID as well as more affordable housing and a more relaxed lifestyle.”
People now, thanks to COVID-19, have new working arrangements/ options in many industries that have adopted a work-from-home approach. With this increased flexibility, people can still keep their jobs but can move almost anywhere in Australia. And as mentioned, some states are now very attractive and there is an influx of people moving to Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and many regional areas of Australia. If you're moving to the sunshine state, make sure you engage Brisbane Interstate Removalists who will be able to move you safely, quickly and hassle-free.
Budget Direct Survey Results
Are more people moving interstate to escape COVID lockdowns?
- 1 in 3 Aussies surveyed (33%) who moved in the last 12 months relocated interstate
- Of those who responded they’d moved in the last 12 months, 1 in 3 (36%) said their move was triggered by the COVID 19 pandemic
- This figure was greatest in Victoria with 47.5% citing the pandemic for their move interstate, followed by NSW with 34.4%
How important is home insurance when moving home?
- 2 in 5 (40%) of people surveyed said home insurance should be the first thing people should arrange when they’re moving home
- 1 in 3 (30%) of those surveyed carried their existing home insurance policy to their new home
DIY or hire a pro?
- 1 in 2 Aussies surveyed (45%) used both a moving company as well as themselves to move homes
- 1 in 4 Aussies surveyed (24%) have had a negative experience with removalists in the past
As you can see not all moving companies deliver great experiences, so if you opt to get a pro to help you, which we would recommend, it pays to ensure they have a highly professional team and proven track record. Our Brisbane interstate removalists team have seen the good and bad in our industry, so we are very passionate about ensuring people can move safely and start living at their new location with minimum fuss or hassle. With this in mind, feel free to reach out and ask us any questions and also get a detailed quote for your interstate moving needs.
Below are some interesting results from the survey and I think it really highlights, how you don’t need to delay your interstate move but it’s important you engage a professional moving company that will deliver on what they say.
- 1 in 3 (36%) said their move was triggered by the COVID 19 pandemic
- 1 in 5 Aussies (20%) have moved home within the last 12 months
- 1 in 3 Aussies (33%) who moved in the last 12 months had relocated interstate
- 4 in 5 (79%) said moving is a stressful experience
- 1 in 4 (24%) have had a negative experience with removalists in the pas
There are some great opportunities for Aussies to move from very expensive regions and get a lift in their ideal lifestyle and living standards, so now is the time to consider the move. This change in the economy and the working options now presented is unprecedented and something worth taking advantage of. Good luck if you decide to move and overall we wish you above all, complete health and a life that is full of all you expected.
Source: Budget Direct
Disclaimer from Budget Direct: This information is general in nature only and does not constitute personal advice. The survey was conducted by PureProfile on behalf of Budget Direct in June 2021. All figures are from this research unless stated otherwise. The survey was conducted online with a total sample size of 1,000 weighted and representative of all Australian adults (aged 18+). While Budget Direct has endeavoured to ensure the information we’ve relied on is accurate and current, we do not guarantee it and accept no liability.