A stress-free move: explore your storage options for moving
Moving can be a cumbersome and stressful process, but it doesn’t have to be! Understanding the different storage options available to you is a great way to make sure your transition into your new home or space runs smoothly.
Whether you need short-term or long-term space solutions, self-storage containers, warehouse storage systems—you name it—there are plenty of ways to keep all of your belongings secure during the transition period. The right option is out there for you and it can really help make your move a whole lot easier.
Introducing the stress-free move & how you can achieve it with storage options
One of the secrets to a stress-free move is planning. Having a plan in place removes a lot of the mental stress of the move, especially the part where you’re trying to remember if you did this or packed that. Getting your storage organised is definitely part of the equation.
One of the benefits of moving your things to storage before your new home or having a move that includes storage is that you have all of your things safe, secure and out of the way. When you arrive at your new home, you have space to work with which can be so much less stressful for some. (Some of us just don’t handle clutter all that well!)
While you can move all of your things to storage and then move it all to your new place, you can also move some to storage and so have it out of the way while you organise and get the basics settled.
The first step here is to decide what type of storage you need, for how long, and what you’ll be storing.
Estimate the number of items you need to pack for the move
One of the tricky things about storage is figuring out just how much space you need to store your things. Before you start, consider the following:
- How much of what you have will you end up not taking with you? Will you have a large donation or trash pile when packing? If so, factor this into your storage estimate.
- Which large items do you really need to store? Make a list of these.
- Do you have anything sensitive that needs to be stored in a climate-controlled setting? Perhaps a piano or electronic equipment?
- Move room by room taking into account the number of things you’ll need to store so you have a good idea of the storage space you’ll need.
- Make note of how long you want these items stored. Will you need access at any point before you fully move into your new place?
Tip: once you start packing, be sure to label everything well including room and what’s in the box. This and other house moving tips can really help your move go smoothly.
Research different storage unit sizes and their benefits
Finding the right storage unit size can be a crucial aspect of any move. Here at Austate, we offer a variety of storage options and understand that everyone’s needs are different. We also understand that it makes an easier move to deal with one company handling moving and storage rather than two.
Here are a number of different storage options for moving that you can look at:
- Self / mini storage: a great option if you’d like to have a key and access to your things at any time. These are convenient and great for a slower move - one where you want to slowly unpack with less clutter.
- Container storage: this is where you put all of your things in a shipping container and the entire container can be moved. This is a good option if you’d like storage for up to 3 months and don’t need access to your bits and pieces.
- Warehouse storage: if you’re looking to store things for a while, don’t need access and just need somewhere for your things to go, warehouse storage is a great option. It’s the best long-term storage solution and one where you won’t have access to your things until they are delivered.
As you can see there are multiple ways to store your things but access and length are the critical players in deciding which way to go with your storage options. This article on long and short-term storage solutions can help with decision-making.
Preparing your home for a stress-free move: must-know tips to make moving easier
Here are a few easy tips you can follow to prepare your home, get organised and simplify your move:
- make a plan and start early
- create a timeline for your move and stick to it as much as possible
- declutter your home and get rid of anything you don't need or use
- label your boxes clearly and consider colour-coding them for each room in your new home
- pack a box of essentials that you will need on the first night in your new home, such as toiletries and bedding
- take breaks and ask for help if you need it
There are a number of other ways to help your move go smoothly and you can check them out here with our house moving tips or view some of our most popular storage-related blogs below:
- The benefits of short-term storage for any house move
- Long-term furniture storage options: how to keep your furniture safe
- A guide for the best long-term storage containers
Moving doesn't have to be a big ball of stress—in fact, with the right storage option, it can be surprisingly convenient and hassle-free. Self-storage is a great choice if you're on a budget, while container storage and warehouse storage work well for those who need more room or want to store things for a longer time period. A few tweaks around your home can go a long way towards creating an easier move: pack ahead of time, recycle what you don't need, and stage furniture to make loading and unloading simpler. All in all, making the most of your storage options should leave you with little else to do but start anew in your new home!